1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick issue!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peppypap, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Hello, I just picked up two chicks a few days ago and they are both arorable. A polish, Stella, and a banty silkie, "Poofy Lilly", which are supposed to both be girls. The silkie has been crying for a few days, non-stop, and we are keeping them in the house. (Not sure how much longer I can take the squeaking [​IMG] ) And Stella is Mommy to it. Lilly is always trying to crawl under her and squeeze under her wing, and Stella has been tollerating it. Stella is about 2 weeks old and Lilly Has just started to grow some wing feathers, we think she is around 1-2 weeks old? Any idea how to make her stop crying? She's not cold, she is eating and drinking, and just won't stop chirping! [​IMG]

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    If you pic3k her up and cuddle with her, does she stop cheeping?? How warm are you keeping the brooder? Poor little one, is having a hard time....

3. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Apparently, she was too cold. My mom gets up early to go to work and she checked on them this morning, and the little one was cold. She held her for a while then woke me up when it was time for her to go. I held her and wrapped her up under my shirt (Yes she could breathe) And every now and then I would hold her under the heat lamp (But not too close) And later in the morning, she died. Now the other is crying, and I think it is because she is lonley. I'll pick her up and she will stop and chirp a little, She will sit in my lap and clean her fuzz.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I a so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by