Chick issue

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chooklover95, Oct 30, 2014.

1. chooklover95

chooklover95 New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    I have a chick that has hatched two days ago now under my broody hen, there are still a dozen eggs that haven't hatched (one has a crack in it) and the hen keeps getting off the nest and sits outside with the chick. Should I take the chick from her so she stays on the nest (hoping the damage from not being on the nest is not done) or should I put the eggs under another broody hen who already has a fair few eggs under her?
    Thanks for the help!

2. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Were they all set at the same time or were they staggered? If staggered, then you'll either have to take the chick to get mom to finish setting, or leave her with the chick and place the eggs in an incubator to finish hatching. Though if she is already leaving the eggs in favor of the chick, she may refuse to set them any more. She knows it is time to take the baby out to eat and drink and learn chicken things.

3. chooklover95

chooklover95 New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    They were staggered layed different days, I didn't use an incubator for these ones she was siting on them. I think I might just move the chick to the eggs nest every time I see them off it and hope that it's enough..

4. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I realize they were under the hen and not in an incubator. I was saying that putting them in an incubator could be your only option to save them. Even if you put baby and mama back to the nest, she may still not set the eggs any more. I had this same problem with my very first broody hatch. I didn't know to put the eggs under all at once and remove all eggs laid in there afterward. After the first ones hatched, most of the mamas got up to take care of them. Luckily, one of them was still in setting mode and stayed on the remaining eggs. (They were all brooding together of their own choice.) I ended up having to move her and the eggs to a separate box though, because when the remaining eggs started hatching the other mama hens tried to kill them. Again I was lucky, because I was there to see it go down and was able to snatch the hatching eggs away from them. They had torn the skin off of one side of each of their heads, but I was able to nurse them through it and they were fine.
    Also, if you decide to try putting mama and baby back in the nest, you MUST put food and water in there for them as well. The baby is old enough now that it needs access to food and water at all times. However you decide to approach it, I wish you luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by