Chick issues

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MarzBar874, Jan 13, 2015.

1. MarzBar874

MarzBar874 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everyone is saying my black chick is a cockeral and I know it's to young to say but I live in a suberban area and if it is what should I do? Has there ever been a case where they think it's a cockeral and it turns out to be a pullet. :/

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    anything can happen but, usually people think they have female chicks and one day it starts crowing.

3. bigbuddha09

bigbuddha09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    what kind of chick is it?

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Sometimes even the most experienced chicken owners miss the sex of a chick, especially one that young. I wouldn't give up on it. I would wait until it was 5-6 weeks old and then repost it on our What Breed or Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this. By then, its gender should be much more obvious. I hope for your sake that it turns out to be a pullet.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

The chick is way to young to sex yet. Judging from the age it appears to be and all the primary feather growth, this chick could very well be a pullet. Usually cockerels don't grow in the primaries all that fast. So don't do anything hasty!! I have had pullets grow big ol combs in at one week of age. Early comb growth is not necessarily an indication of a cockerel. So hang on to this baby...she could be a she!!! :)

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

Your chick is definitely too young to sex (other than by vent sexing, which is rather difficult unless you are an expert). When you bought the chick, was it sexed as a pullet? There have been cases of purchased "pullets" turning into cockerels; usually, vent sexing is 90-95% accurate.

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

It is too young to be certain on gender. I once had a Wyandotte that I was nearly 100% sure was a cockerel, at four weeks old. "He" had a very large, red, wide comb. But, as "he" grew, the comb didn't get any larger or redder. In the end, "he" turned out to be a very pretty pullet!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Too young to tell

10. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by