Chick Jaw blood blister?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fishpick, Jun 10, 2008.

1. fishpick

fishpick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    As you can tell by the subject - I dunno what it is... all I know is the others 34 of his best friends in the brooder love to peck at it and he's not overly fond of that...

Any suggestions as to what I could do to prevent the others from pecking him... whiteout maybe? [​IMG]
    Even better - Any suggestions as to what it might be?

[​IMG]

These are 2 week old Cornish X's - all very happy and healthy - indoor (barn) brooder - chick starter (non-medicated) - got their shots - lots of water and feed - feed goes away at 7pm at night and returns at 6am.

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Those arent blood blisters, they're his wattles [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  3. fishpick

fishpick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Thats what I thought - but the other chicks all think they are tasty treats... how do I stop that - or will it just stop on it's own?

They all peck at his waddle...

4. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    From what I understand chicks love to go after the color RED and pick. If you could put an ointment on it to maybe make it blue they would more than likely leave the little guy alone. They sale many different products at feed stores like gypsum violet that you could use. I wouln't recommend spraying it that close to his face but maybe you could put some on a cotton ball and rub his wattles down to change the color and it is also an antiseptic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by