Chick jumping on the side of her run and others pecking her

ChickenKiera

Songster
Oct 17, 2019
So I didn’t know what to call this thread but I need some help. I got 5 old English game bantam chicks and one of them has bad eyesight. Her name is pansy and she can’t really see well and if you put a piece of food in front of her she will peck the sides of it and not get any. The other chicks didn’t care and they weren’t pecking her or anything.
Then we moved them into a bigger run/coop thing that is big enough for all 5 of them to run around and perch. They were all fine until I saw that pansy had a few bald patches on her head and she was standing behind the water bowl. Also one of them layed their first egg and I don’t know which one.
I was sitting with them for a while and then pansy started running up and down the side of the house (I’m just going to call it a house) and making a weird noise and then she jumped up on the side and then jumped back down. Becuase she can’t see very well she never really jumps. Then one of my other chicks pecked her a few times and then pansy ran away. She went behind the water bowl again.
I came back a while later and she was still behind the water. Then pansy came over to me and stared running up and down the side again, making that noise and then the same chick pecked her and pansy screamed and ran off.
Now she is sitting in the corner not moving. Does anyone know what I can do to help her/ stop it, or should I seperate her? If it because she is scared of the other chicks?

It frequently becomes necessary to remove handicapped birds from the flock as their vulnerability tends to make them targets. You might try removing the aggressor for a couple of days and then monitoring closely upon reintroduction. Good luck.

It frequently becomes necessary to remove handicapped birds from the flock as their vulnerability tends to make them targets. You might try removing the aggressor for a couple of days and then monitoring closely upon reintroduction. Good luck.
Thankyou, do you think she is running up and down the side becuase she is stressing about the others and wants to get away from them? I might just remove her and put her in her own run.

Separate her. Dog crates in the coop or run can be good, and you can place food and water in for her. She is being bullied, and may need to be separated for good if this continues. How do her eyes look? Does she have drainage or pus in the eyes?

Back
Top Bottom