Chick just attacked by squirrel---how do I care for her?

Eagleman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
New Mexico
We just heard a commotion in the backyard and found a squirrel in the brooder cage in our chicken run. The chicks (about 4 weeks old) were all piled up and panicked. I let them out to get away from the squirrel and they all fled but one who was bleeding. My daughter wrapped it in a towel and held it while I moved the cage to the porch and got them settled.

I put the injured chick in a box with shreded paper and some water and covered it with a towel and put it in a dark, warm room. I wiped some of the blood off with a damp paper towel. She is holding her wing out funny (or it is broken) up near the top but is not bleeding too much. I can't tell if it is bit or scratch or what.

I just want her to rest but want to know if there is anything else I should be doing. I feel terrible and even though I know this is the reality of chicken keeping it is so sad. I have never even seen a squirrel in our (urban) yard.

Any advice on helping her heal, or knowing that she won't is much appreciated...

how strange and terrible at the same time
hit.gif
. we have plenty of squirels around here and nothing like that has ever happened.

Last edited:
We had a squirrel snag a baby bird out of a tree a couple years ago and eat it. They dig in our trash. It's not a common thing for them to attack and eat a bird... but it does happen. Nothing to do with rabies... just hunger.

Thanks for the replies...I called animal control just in case and they are going to lend me a "humane" trap so we can relocate the squirrel. I just want my chick to be okay: these five chicks are our first and we are working really hard to get to know them and take good care of them. This is another lesson learned, I guess.

is there a puncture mark? if so do flush out the hole made by it with sterile saline (you can make this yourself by boiling 1/4 tsp of salt in a quart of water for five minutes) and apply neosporin after. Put electrolytes in the waterer for shock for a couple days and watch the wing. Hopefully there is no internal damage. Keep separate till you are sure is recovered fully.

Last edited:
I've seen a squirrel go up a tree, stick his hand in the bird house and proceed to eat the chicks in front of me and the horrified parent Sparrows.

I've had a squirrel jump out of a tree onto Obelisk's back and pummel my chicken about her head with his little furry fists.

Back
Top Bottom