1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick just born?! UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hooligan, Apr 24, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Ok, so I posted awhile back that our bantam mutt got underneath the chicken house and went broody. Just yesterday I was saying how it had been over a month and I wish she would just give and and come out already and what happens today while I am at work? BF goes out to gather eggs and sees her with a little black chick trailing behind her...and another still wet in the yard, not moving. Well he dropped everything and grabbed the wet chick and brought it in and put it under the heat lamp. When I got home I gave it some water and yolk via dropped as it was wobbly and weak.
    It has since started to eat crumbles but still can't walk, is this normal? Its scooting around and staying on the cooler end of the brooder, under the shelter of the stuffed starfish (w/electric guitar [​IMG] ) I have no idea what just born chicks behave like and I need a normal/abnormal crash course.
    Also we want to take the other chick from her if we can get her out from underneath the coop, and also block the underneath side off. Is this a good idea? Would it be bad to take the chick from her? Should we wait the weekend to make sure she has no other chicks hatch out?
    We aren't happy she hatched any, as we never wanted to breed any chickens but now that it happened...I want to do whatever is best for her.

ETA: he found this chick at about 4pm and its now 10pm

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Even in the bator it takes the just hatched chicks acouple hours to get their legs under them....Just keep him warm and he should fluff up in a day or two... if it had just hatch it shouldn't need food or water til tomorrow, it would still be living off its yolk sac......it should sleep alot for awhile...

I don't know what to tell you if you didn't want chicks...I sometimes let the broodys take care of them but they skittish around people when left with the hen...Brooder chicks get use to people feeding and taking care of them from the start...could try catching the chick and putting it in with the other one, would be company for it and not just a lonely chick...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  3. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    See, thats what I was thinking. It would be better for the chick thats in the brooder now if it had a buddy to keep it warm.
    But Goldie won't suffer any mental stress from having her chick taken away will she?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Nope she shouldn't...I've taken chicks from the broodys before they do just fine....

5. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well the chick is doing fine now. Its bantam sized and has red/black mottled feathering. It also has cheek tufts and a bit of a beard....it must have gotten that from its mutt momma bc daddy was either a RIR or Buff Orp LoL What breeds could that have come down from on the hens side?

I will post a pic when I get home [​IMG]

6. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Good luck with your little chick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by