chick just hatched-black dots?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klf73, Jul 30, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have an Ameraucana chick that just hatched(still wet). At first glance I would say it looks like it has mites. The "dots" are stuck to it's fuzz and don't move. What is this and do I need to be concerned?

Thanks
    Krista

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Can you get a picture?

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    unfortunately , no. I only have my phone, can't find the wire to my digital. I can't get close enough to see them with the phone, just a big blur. If you have ever seen mites before, they are the exact size. I saw them frequently on the snakes at a pet store I worked at when I was a kid. They are stuck to the "feathers". I haven't messed with the chick much yet, it's still resting from hatching. Whatever they are they don't come off easy, I tried to see if I could get one off, but I didn't want to hurt the chick.
    Krista

4. ChickenGuy

ChickenGuy Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Midland, Michigan
    I'd let her dry off and "fluff up" first, and then take another close look.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't believe that they can have mites straight out of the egg. I could be wrong here, but I thought that mites were something that the chick would have to come in contact with before getting. If it just hatched, there wouldn't be anyway for that to have happened, so I wouldn't stress to much about it. Let it dry and fluff up. There probably isn't anything to worry about. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by