Chick just hatched, has hanging ball from belly, now is bleeding.

cpuking

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Had my first chick ever hatch, it came out no problem, it had this hanging thing on its back, which I thought was the yolk, could be, he is pecking at it, and now its bleeding. Here are some pics, can someone help me out? Thanks ahead of time, Doug.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Btw the white/ yellow stuff is corn meal i used to get the bleeding under control.

its where he is attached to the egg from. ive had this happen before he needs to be separated from the others so they dont try and eat it. ive never had one die when it hatched like this. i took a bandaid and stuck it from between his legs to the top of his back you have to be very careful not to get the sticky part onto his protruding belly. you may want a few more options before you go to this though cause you have to keep a very good eye on him with that for droppings and stuff

Last edited:
Quote:
sorry to tell you this but he wont live thats his intestines hanging out i have had 4 chicks hatch out before with that ball under them slowly he will start to get weaker if it falls off within the next few hours then its what chickenbottom said it is

Last edited:
Quote:
sorry to tell you this but he wont live thats his intestines hanging out i have had 4 chicks hatch out before with that ball under them slowly he will start to get weaker if it falls off within the next few hours then its what chickenbottom said it is

well it wouldnt fall off it will get sucked in

Quote:

well it wouldnt fall off it will get sucked in

yeah but i think thats its intestines hanging out every time i would see a hatched chick with that on its butt i knew it would die

He's acting to me normal, chirping, eating, drinking, she' he " is following my movements, running around

My debate is everything i look at is about a 50/50
Some live some die, its my first chick ever, so of course i want it to live.

Are there ways to avoid this? i turned the egg's 3 times a day.

Anything I can do to help?

This chick has its own brooder box, food, water , heat ect it will not be messed with for the best chance

I had an egg before this one pip, and it died in the egg, I had a temp spike to 104 one time, not sure how it happened, but im just lost lol.

i've had this happen twice to me, and i never bothered with it, my chicks were fine, i was really worried with the first one, but the bubble on its butt began to lose the liquid and it was just a dry bubble, and it eventually fell off

Back
Top Bottom