1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick just hatched. Need advice on how to keep it company...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 6, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I had one splash orpington chick hatch, and not sure if the others will since they havnt even been moving. So I need help on how to keep this little guy company after he comes out of the bator. I have four 3 and a half week old ducklings that im sure will beat him up, so I wont put him in there. Any advice? Anbody ever had a lone chick?
    thanks in advance! Oh and heres the chick [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    He can be alone in the bator for a day or two, you don't need to provide a friend right away. If the others don't hatch then I would recommend getting another chick. If thats not possible then maybe a stuffed animal or something. IMO a stuffed animal just doesn't cut it but I suppose its better then nothing.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Ok, I sure hope the others hatch. I have a few chicken stuffed animals that I can put in with him. [​IMG] thanks!

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Someone on here once used one of those old feather dusters, with the real feathers, with a heat lamp. Id say that's your best bet, but a stuffed animal would be better than nothing. Or gather some feathers from your other chickens, if you have them, and tie them together.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I put a terry cloth in with mine.

[​IMG]

6. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    I've had my fair share of lonely chicks.

Mirrors usually help a bit, but they're not snuggly.
    The old feather dusters with real feathers represent momma, and are by far the best option IMO.
    Stuffed animals are snuggly, but not as good as the feather duster. As long as there are no loose
    strings or holes for nails to get caught in, old rags help relieve the lonesomeness as well. Before
    all of these things, I recommend trying to get another chick. Chickens who grow up with no siblings
    usually have socialization problems in the future. I have a small hen who had her leg broken at
    3 weeks old, and was kept alone, as I had no way of getting her siblings. Even though she got
    one on one time with me every single day, and lots of TLC from us humans, now that she's older
    she doesn't mingle well at all. I hope your other eggs hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ukiah

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thank guys! Such helpful advice! When I went to bed to last night two more of the eggs had holes [​IMG]

8. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:[​IMG] congrats and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by