Chick just hatched. Need advice on how to keep it company...

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
I had one splash orpington chick hatch, and not sure if the others will since they havnt even been moving. So I need help on how to keep this little guy company after he comes out of the bator. I have four 3 and a half week old ducklings that im sure will beat him up, so I wont put him in there. Any advice? Anbody ever had a lone chick?
thanks in advance! Oh and heres the chick
big_smile.png

89286_2011-12-06_214325.jpg

He can be alone in the bator for a day or two, you don't need to provide a friend right away. If the others don't hatch then I would recommend getting another chick. If thats not possible then maybe a stuffed animal or something. IMO a stuffed animal just doesn't cut it but I suppose its better then nothing.

Quote:
Ok, I sure hope the others hatch. I have a few chicken stuffed animals that I can put in with him.
big_smile.png
thanks!

Someone on here once used one of those old feather dusters, with the real feathers, with a heat lamp. Id say that's your best bet, but a stuffed animal would be better than nothing. Or gather some feathers from your other chickens, if you have them, and tie them together.

Last edited:
I've had my fair share of lonely chicks.

Mirrors usually help a bit, but they're not snuggly.
The old feather dusters with real feathers represent momma, and are by far the best option IMO.
Stuffed animals are snuggly, but not as good as the feather duster. As long as there are no loose
strings or holes for nails to get caught in, old rags help relieve the lonesomeness as well. Before
all of these things, I recommend trying to get another chick. Chickens who grow up with no siblings
usually have socialization problems in the future. I have a small hen who had her leg broken at
3 weeks old, and was kept alone, as I had no way of getting her siblings. Even though she got
one on one time with me every single day, and lots of TLC from us humans, now that she's older
she doesn't mingle well at all. I hope your other eggs hatch!
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Ukiah

Thank guys! Such helpful advice! When I went to bed to last night two more of the eggs had holes
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom