chick just hatched...now what do i do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lexrn, May 29, 2007.

1. lexrn

lexrn New Egg

May 10, 2007
    First time allowing a brood hen to sit on eggs. The first one hatched a little while ago and there are 2 more eggs under her. What do I do with it? Should I take Mom and chick out of the nest to an easier surface for the chick to walk? Does the chick know to get feed? It seems so clumsy right now but will it start searching out food?
    Sorry for all the questions but don't want to harm it.

2. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    The chick will not need food for the first 24 hrs. It probably won't start exploring until it's stronger and the hen chooses to go out. If the nest is high up, I would say move the nest closer to the floor at night when the hen is asleep or better yet after the two other eggs hatch. Congratulations on your new chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  3. lexrn

lexrn New Egg

May 10, 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will change the nesting box arrangement tomorrow then. Maybe the other 2 will have hatched by then. I really didn't think this was going to work. Hen went broody so I grabbed a couple of 3 eggs and put them under her. What a trip!

4. xitaa

xitaa Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Just leave it with its Mom. She will start pecking at food in a few hours and call it and it will run to her head and start eating, too. Place a little shallow dish, mayo jar lid, of water and a little dish of Startina or laying mash out in front of her and just tap your finger in the food. She will come to eat. If the other eggs are going to hatch, they will do so in about 24-36 hours. Enjoy, she will take good care of her baby. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I agree with xitaa. Let momma take the lead. It is so much fun watching the hen teach her babies how to eat, drink, etc. You will learn a lot about raising chicks just by watching the hen.
    You will also start to understand the hen's little clucks and coos. It's amazing!
    Enjoy and post some pics!

6. lexrn

lexrn New Egg

May 10, 2007
    The other eggs haven't hatched yet...but when i picked one up a while ago...it cheeped! I have been giggling ever since. I am learning something all the time having this group of feathered cluckers. Bought some chick starter food today to give them.

There won't be the same 2 kind of chicks hatched I don't think as the eggs came from different hens. Do they generally take after the hen or the rooster for different breeds? Will try to post some pics when they all (1 or 2 more) arrive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by