Chick just hatched. What is this on his butt? (Kinda Gross Picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peepers Creepers, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Peepers Creepers

Peepers Creepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    This chick had pipped last night about 4am.

At 8am he had zipped all the way around and was only being held in his egg by a thin little membrane.

At 5pm I couldn't take it any longer and I helped him out. I was afraid he was too tired to push his way out.

Well now it is 9pm and he is active and peeping and seems like a happy little guy except for this nasty red bloody looking thing hanging from his behind. I would take a better picture but I don't want to open the bator and let out the humidity.

He was the second to the last one to hatch and they had been in lock down for 5 days. At 5 when I took the other 9 out I noticed there was no more water in the resiviours and I refilled them after I helped the little guy out. This was only dry for a very short period of time and when I opened it I could feel the moisture.

Here is a picture. The white is a piece of shell that was stuck to it. It wasn't there the whole time it was just picked up while it was moving around.

[​IMG]

Any Ideas???

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    might be some of the yolk that is not absorbed. leave it be and it will probably absorb over a period of time.

3. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Not an expert but I went thru my first hatch this past spring and stared at them hatching for hours and then like a little kid studied the egg shells after. It looks like when you helped that little part out the umbilicle cord was still stuck a bit. Pulling it would cause it to bleed since they have small veins running along the shell. If you feel his bum rite in that area it should be squishy. Try to put a slight bit of pressure to get it to stop bleeding then you might be able to examine it a bit better. Hopefully someone with better hatching experience will come along.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Im sure it will dry up and look better tomorrow. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by