Chick just hatched with prolapse HEELLLLPPP :0(

teresa-78

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
England
I had a SL Polish chick hatch with a slight prolapse.... I knew something was wrong as it took an awful long time for it to zip.... Also its leg has a constant shake, and seems to not be able to hold its head up as a chick would usually, like it has another problem, I know they cannot usually hold their heads up, but its hard to explain its trying to walk about, but its head is on a constant wobble, and looks a little like maybe wry neck?? but not twsted as much... what should I do???

Quote:
Sadly the only advice I have is to cull even if the weak chick managed to survive it would be weak and some of the deformalitys might be transmitted threw genes pools. You can try to Push the vent back inplace with a little petrolium on a q- tip. and hope for the best but if its as you say keep in mind its a suffering chick. We cant always think selfishly as I have had to learn the hard way.

Quote:
Sadly the only advice I have is to cull even if the weak chick managed to survive it would be weak and some of the deformalitys might be transmitted threw genes pools. You can try to Push the vent back inplace with a little petrolium on a q- tip. and hope for the best but if its as you say keep in mind its a suffering chick. We cant always think selfishly as I have had to learn the hard way.

Thanks for your reply.... I have just gone and checked again, and it seems to not be spinning its head as much, I know I will have to cull if it does not get any better, and the best way for me would be putting it in the freezer :0( Would the prolapse re-enter the body on its own?? its just slightly bigger than the size of this '0' ?? as I am just hoping the head thing will get better, and its just due to the amount of time it took to hatch :0(

Quote:
I had a chick hatch with a major prolapse. I got a q-tip and put warm water on it. I slowly worked it's innerds back in and the chick was fine. Perked right up and behaved like the rest of the chicks. I would check on it and was doing great. Eventually another adult chicken had killed the little chick along with 5 others. I was not happy. The broody mother was a new mother and didn't defend her young. I had to take the rest away from her. Sad, I think the chick that had the prolapse would have been just fine.

Work it back in. It may take a little bit but I'm sure you can do it. There is a spot where everything will go into place. If it keeps coming back out try and different angle. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom