Chick just up and died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Holas, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Holas

Holas Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

So I am completely new to this chicken raising thing. Got my first batch a little over a week ago. I have them in a brooder in my laundry room temp sits right about 90 in there. Every one seems healthy eating drinking pooping well. Yesterday I took them outside and let them run around in a 4 by 6 foot box with no bottom wile I cleaned out the cage. They were out there about 20 min. Every one seemed fine. They went back inside. Later that night I checked on them and the smallest one was dead?
    I want to make sure I don't kill off any more of I can help it so I'm trying to figure out what happened.
    Did he eat something he shouldn't have did he choke on something? Should I not let them outside for short periods of time yet?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Holas

Holas Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    Any ideas..... any one? Or should I just chalk this up to sometimes chicks die?

3. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    How old are they? If they're over a week, you could lower the brooder temperature. The chick could have over heated. Is there anything it could have eaten that was poison when they were outside? There is a numerous amount of possibilities, but it simply could be a weak chick. Not all chicks are as healthy as others and if no symptoms are shown and the others seem fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Holas

Holas Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    They are just over a week old. I have moved them into a bigger enclosure. Every one else seems fine. Thanks for the response.

5. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    I'm sorry for your loss, it's always very sad when we lose them. [​IMG]

We had a pullet die after she was about 4 weeks old with no apparent cause. I'm sure there was one, but we never knew what it was. She was always a little off, slower than the others and just not quite right somehow, but nothing you could put your finger on.

One night we went out to put them to bed and she was all fluffed up like she wasn't feeling well so we brought her inside. She made it through the night, but the next morning I checked on her after having fed her and she was flat out on her back, dead. Sometimes it's nothing you do, it's just a failure to thrive or some internal problem that you couldn't know about.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by