chick keep shaking his head

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    One of our chicks has been shaking his head and scratching his neck like crazy today, the scratching has been going on most of the day. He was born yesterday around 4:00 AM and had the shell stuck to his butt. He is tiny compared to the rest of our chicks. His feathers are still not fluffed, but he is dry. I gave him a warm cotton ball bath yesterday and put him back in the bator to dry.

So what is with the head shaking and the scratching at the neck???

Here is the best pic I have of him:

[​IMG]

2. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    No idea - I'm a newbie so maybe someone has some advice for you. I will tell you that one day I was humming to my chicks and all of them were shaking their heads, guess they don't like that tune either!

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Try giving it some poly-vi-sol without iron. I had one chick that was not acting right when it hatched and this was recommended to me. Worked well. Put a drop on your finger then run your finger on its beak so it takes it. You might have to try a couple times before it actually takes it in. Do this 3 times a day for a few days. It should help with whatever is going on. Sometime they just need the extra boost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by