Chick keeping eyes closed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by asmithnc, Jan 26, 2013.

1. asmithnc

asmithnc New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hi all, new here but I need ideas. I have a 2 day old chick who has been weak, lethargic and keeping his eyes closed. I've given him very small doses of antibiotics, steroids, plenty of electrolytes, Nutri-drench and he'll only eat raw (freshly laid) egg yolk, however he's drinking just fine. He has begun keeping his left eye open which is great and starting to keep his right eye open a bit more. He's still wobbly and shakes his head a bit. He's sweet as can be and loves being held, probably since the siblings are all rowdy and not wanting to snuggle with him. I've given him Amprol for coccidiosis too. I could use additional suggestions, but I think I'd really love to hear that someone had a chick like this who survived.

2. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    I wish I had good news. Maybe someone else does.
    When we have a chicken or chick that goes through the medication rounds and still doesnt improve its a 50/50 chance of survival.
    After you try science its all up to mother nature, genetics, and individual bird willpower.

Good luck and lets hope the little one is on the positive side.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

I've had some weak chicks survive and thrive and I've lost some... It's 50/50 like the above poster said. It sounds like you are doing your best for the little one, so it's up to her now. Best of luck!

4. asmithnc

asmithnc New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    Okay, thanks. He's still around this morning, still mostly using his left eye and not thrilled about his little corrective shoe for his toes. I at least feel better that each day that passes might mean he'll be okay. I'll stay hopeful anyway!

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Since you mentioned correcting his toes - was he stuck in the egg? If so, gently dribble some warm water around his eye with your finger.....it may be stuck shut.

Honestly, you are overmedicating the little one. If he's never been in contact with the soil, he won't have coccidiosis. I would stop all medications and just give vitamins/electrolytes. You can try some sugar water to help perk him up. You can mix the sugar water with some chick food and make a wet mash as well.

7. asmithnc

asmithnc New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    Thanks, no he wasn't stuck. He's doing a lot better. His eye wasn't stuck, he just kept it closed. Everything seemed to help and he's out of his shoe and bouncing around the brooder now. His neck seems still a touch weak as his head moves from side to side when he starts to fall asleep. Otherwise, he's great. Spoiled for attention but eating, drinking, pooping and walking regularly. I really appreciate the advice though, thanks.

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's good to hear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by