Chick keeping warm??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morri, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    I have a lamp with a strong watt light bulb to keep my babies warm but I also like to add a hot water bottle for extra warmth. JUst wondering how long does it take for them to go cold (the hot water bottles) so I can change it again?? Thanks I guessed about 4 hours but does anyone know?? (I cover the hot water bottle in an old tshirt so i guess it stays warm longer!?!!? [​IMG] Thanks!!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My chicks were fine with just the light.

A water bottle is really unnecessary work IMO. If your chicks are cold just get a higher wattage bulb, or adjust the position of the lamp. [​IMG]
    If your chicks are piling up and cheeping loudly, they are cold, but if they are milling about acting normal then they are fine. If they are sitting with their wings away from the body and panting, then they are too hot.

Biggest thing is to make sure that the heat lamp CAN NOT FALL into the brooder!!!!! Secure it some way other than the clamp that most come with. Also make sure there is a cooler area of the brooder box so that the chicks won't overheat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by