1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick kicking eggs 5 mins old??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sethsleader, Sep 8, 2009.

1. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    I only have 9 egg in, one gold laced hatch 5 minutes age and its kicking all of the other eggs, will this damage the eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow?

First hatch so I don't know if this is normal. [​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    That's normal! Most folks say not to worry. I started hatching in an egg carton this time, and it eliminates that altogether--I really like it much better, because I worry about the kicking too. [​IMG] But it will be all right--most people hatch the way you are, and the kicking around of the eggs is almost a rite of passage. [​IMG]

3. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    Thanks for that imacoriositycat (sp)Im so nervous for the little guys, when hes fluffed do I remove him to the brooder or wait for the others. He a good 24hrs early.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Wait for the others--opening the incubator can cause a humidity dip that can make it harder for the other eggs to hatch. I usually wait 24 hours from the first hatch, and then remove all ducklings that are hatched at that point all at once, leaving the others. Some folks wait until they are all hatched. Others remove them more frequently. But caution is advised. Besides, the cheeping of the one in there will encourage the others. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by