Chick killed in brooder; Amerucana is very sick.

Desert Plum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
So. Calif desert area
I've lost a chick to something-I think a neighborhood cat. It could not get the bird out so it left it there but scared the others pretty bad. This was a weaker Delaware chick who had its throat smushed pretty bad.
sickbyc.gif

I had just started to leave the side room open so the birds would get some sun and constant fresh air along with getting use to the noise of outside. Just yesterday a blue jay swooped down on them as they snoozed in a raised bed while I was cleaning out the brooder scaring them pretty bad. But to have one killed in their safe spot is just un-nerving and ticked me off badly. It will be weeks before I feel comfortable enough to put them out again.
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif

My war originally was with the Blue jays who also mess up the grapes but now it is ON with the feral cats.
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif

I assume by its labored breathing that my Amerucana/EE is very sick. I've tried the usual methods that work for my previous pet birds, myself yet nothing has worked. Sigh....bad start, man.

Yikes! Sorry your little ones had to experience something as scary as two attacks in one day. Are you certain it wasn't a raccoon? My neighbor saw a Huge one the other night at the back of the property ... we are going to put up hot wire around the coop at two different heights. One on the top and one around the bottom. It will only be turned on at night though. Hope things go better for you from here on out!!!

I'm so sorry about your chicks. I have 3 dogs right now but they're all inside dogs. I'm seriously thinking about getting a Great Pyranese to watch my flock. I think I'll feel safer if I do.

Good luck to you.

Blessings,
Laurie

This happened during the day about three hours ago which is even more bold/angering.
somad.gif
somad.gif
he.gif

If my Amerucana dies I will have only 10 birds which was my original number but I didn't think it would happen this way.

Back
Top Bottom