chick killed inside our house!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by laura625, Sep 14, 2012.

1. laura625

laura625 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Okay, I guess i just want to know who could have done this.
    The chicks are a few days old and are in a cage with a heatlamp in a bedroom of a mobiqle home. The water enters the house there, the dryer vents nearby, not too hard to imagine something getting in, but what would??
    The chicks little head was through the wire cage, and eaten. Other chicks unhurt Saw no droppings from predator, no evidence the feed had been disturbed.
    It had to have happened between 10pm and 7am.
    The thing is, we dont have racoons around here. Never seen oppossums, there are skunks, but i didnt smell anyskunk in the room...
    A rat is the only thing i could think of besides skunk, that could get in tgrough small hole and do sometthing like that. Never seen any signs of rats... we live in the country, grassy meadow/ wetland.
    If it had been a skink, wouldnt i have smelled it?
    Anyone else ever had predation Indoors?
    Oh,annd no pets had access.
    Ill secure the room and all, whatever kind of critter it was. Just kind of freaked.out.

2. cubbysan

cubbysan Chillin' With My Peeps

I do remember reading that rats can do that. I am so sorry for your loss.

I have some babies in my garage, and every morning I hold my breath when I go to feed them, because I don't believe any place is 100 percent predator proof.

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Whoa! So sorry for your loss and for being "freaked out". I'm in the woods and know the same thing could occur here. It's getting cooler and usually the mice try sneak in the house when the weather changes. I'm sure rats are trying to get inside just as much as the mice but I've never seen any. We have two dogs and a fantastic mouse killin' cat, they keep the worst of them at bay.

I'm guessing a rat. Think you would have seen evidence if it was something larger. I'd check for any points of entrance and set some traps.

On the reverse side of the "living in the woods" coin, I just went outside to check on the girls and it appears that they've had a small intruder in their run as one of them has a frog in its mouth!! What goes around - comes around, it seems!

4. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Rat or weasel, best guess. Both can get through any hole small enough to get their head through, so just about any hole bigger than a large grape could be the access point. It knows how to get in and that you have food, so it will be back. Try a rat trap baited with meat, the bloodier the better, and see what you get. Sorry for you loss, good luck.

5. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Squirrel maybe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by