Chick killing rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sakari26, Jan 28, 2008.

1. sakari26

sakari26 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2008
    central florida
    I have a rooster that went after a hen and her chicks. He killed one chick. Why would he do this? I am new to the chicken world. I inherited 2 roosters and 3 hens when their owner abandoned them. The 5 have since moved to my neighbor's place. She has the hen, 7 chicks(that includes the dead one) and 10 pullets. She said that the rooster just went after the hen and chicks and ran them into a fence, then killed the chick.

We are thinking of getting rid of the roosters but they are free-ranging. How do we catch them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to shoot the roosters but we can't have them killing the chicks.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Chicks need to be housed with the mama hen seperately from the flock until they are old enough to be able to get away from attackers, other hens will attack them too.

If you need to catch the roosters, wait until they roost at night, its easy then.

3. sakari26

sakari26 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2008
    central florida
    Thanks for the info. I will let my neighbor know also.

4. Charlie Chicken

Charlie Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    It sounds like you have several candidates for chicken soup.

Yes, chickens have terrible eyesight at night and after dark you can just walk right up to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by