Chick labored breathing and laying on side

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenleyEstate, Nov 16, 2016.

1. HenleyEstate

HenleyEstate New Egg

Mar 8, 2016
    New Bern, NC
    Hey all!! I bought some cream legbar chicks three weeks ago and the past 4 days I have had my oldest chick(5weeks old) start acting odd. Stretching out neck and gasping with no chirping. Checked her crop and looked for any obstructions. Nothing. This is day three of administering tetracycline per the advice of my local feed store. No improvement.
    Please help I don't want to lose her.
    I have given her 3ml of the medicated water every 1-2 hours. No change.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How are her poops? Coccidiosis can be a problem at this age with runny or bloody poops, lethargy, puffing up, and refusal to eat. Corid treats that. Dehydration or an internal problem may also be possibilities. Certain diseases such as avian encephalomyelitis can cause lameness and lying on side, and usually involve tremors. There are a lot of scary-sounding diseases, and her problem may not include any of those. Just make sure that she is taking water and staying hydrated. Try feeding her bits of egg for energy. If she was not on Tetracycline, I would give her vitamins with electrolytes (such as SaveAChick, Rooster Booster, or Durvet brands.) Make sure that she is warm but not too warm, that the bedding is not wet or moldy, and I hope that she recovers.

3. HenleyEstate

HenleyEstate New Egg

Mar 8, 2016
    New Bern, NC
    I separated her from the others to monitor her pooping. Looks normal. She has been on tetracycline for 4 days now. Still giving at least 3ml medicated water every other hour. She started to chirp again this morning. But still I will find her laying on her side and very weak. Not sure if she will make it. I am nervous and now having been playing doctor the last couple of days I am getting attached. Dang it. I can't help but be hopeful. Does anyone know if treating with corid would hurt if they don't have coccidosis? I just want to succeed with this little girl.
    Thank you for the reply earlier.

She has fought this long… maybe she will come out of it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid treatment would not be harmful to her. It might help if she has coccidiosis. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water, changed daily, for 5 days. If a vet is available to test a few droppings, they can confirm coccidiosis. I hope she makes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by