1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick lame in one leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bopo, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Bopo

Bopo New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    I have just started with my first chickens. They are a mixed flock of pullets and are three weeks old. I have them in a brooder box with heat lamp, shavings on the floor and I am feeding them a medicated chick starter. This week one of the black sex link pullets went lame in one leg. I moved her out of the brooder into a box of her own with a heat lamp food and water. I have given her some polyvisol by mouth. Her leg doesn't seem to be broken or injured, she just doesn't seem to be able to control it. Her toes are slightly curled, but seem straighter today.
    These chicks were purchased at our local farm supply and I would be surprised if any were vaccinated. My worst fear is Marek's.
    How long should I give the chick before I give up. She doesn't seem as perky as the other chicks but she is still eating and drinking and her poop is normal. I would be grateful for any advise. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by