1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick laying on its side---Normal??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by topknot19, Oct 20, 2008.

1. topknot19

topknot19 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Starr, SC
    Hello,
    I just put my 5 week old chicks outside for some sun and fresh air for the first time. One of the chicks started laying on her side with a leg stuck out. She did not appear sick prior to being carried outside. She gets up and moves if one of her sisters steps on her or walks by closely. They have only been out about 20 minutes in 62 degree weather.

Any cause for concern? If it was one of the dogs on its side like that, I would say it was taking a nap in the sun.

Thanks!

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

your chick is doing what ya dog does,, loving the sun,,,, my chicks do it all the time.

3. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    She's sunbathing. Mine did it all the time. They dust bathe also and the first time I saw that ,I was sure she was gonna die.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, sunbathing. And when they look all spastic and crazy, they're just dustbathing. Aren't chickens interesting? Who taught them to do all that, and to be so cute!

5. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Quote:Ed-Zachary ( as in egg-zaktly )[​IMG]

6. topknot19

topknot19 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Starr, SC
    Hey, Thanks for the replies. If I weren't doing "honey do " jobs today, I would be taking a nap in the sun too.

The chicks are entertaining.

Cheers,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by