Chick leaning to one side, refusing to put other foot down

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koakritters, Jul 24, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    I have a 3 day old silkieXRIR chick that has been refusing to put its weight on the left leg. It hops around on it's right and stands with the left leg up. I put it in hobbles, but if anything it seems to be making it worse, now she falls down and gets stuck on her back. [​IMG] Any ideas on how to help her? I tried asking in the injuries thread and haven't gotten much response back... I really want to get this fixed asap so she has a chance of making a full recovery.

2. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    Have you checked the bottom of her foot? She may have something stuck or a small injury that is causing discomfort when she walks. It could also be Mareks, though that usually causes paralysis and causes the leg to hang down. Try looking her over really well to see if anything is out of order that could be causing pain or discomfort. Epsom salt is good for sprains and injuries, if she does have something wrong you could try soaking her in warm water and epsom salt to help relieve her pain.

Sorry I'm not much help. But with chicks it's sometimes hard to diagnose.

3. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    nope. and it's almost as though the hobbles are making it even more difficult for her to walk, she got the first ones off somehow and was hopping around, then i put them back on and she's back to falling on her back... idk what to do with her, i've never had one like this before... She's really sweet and cute too, a silkieXRIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by