Chick leg drawn up above her wing??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mama shane, Feb 28, 2017.

1. mama shane

mama shane New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    Gladeville, TN
    I have a 6 week old australorp that stopped walking yesterday and now her legs are drawn up and toes stick out above her wings?? Never seen this before. What is happening? I hung her in a sling and tried to stretch them out. She is eating and drinking fine

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Could she have been injured in her brooder or coop? I suppose it might be neurological condition or a vitamin deficiency. I would make sure that she can get to her food and water. Put chick vitamins in her water, or use 2-3 drops of PolyVisol baby vitamins (without iron.) Human B Complex tables crushed in water would work temporarily.

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Egg Grower Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Could you post a picture of what her legs look like...how she is holding them up?

1 person likes this.
  4. mama shane

mama shane New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    Gladeville, TN
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she drinking water? Try dipping her beak into water and letting her swallow. Do this several times an hour, and add chick electrolytes with vitamins. Will he stand at all on her own?

1 person likes this.
  6. mama shane

mama shane New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    Gladeville, TN
    Drinking fine and I started electrolytes yesterday. [​IMG] We have been stretching her little legs every hour to no avail. I checked on her a minute ago and she is wide eyed and singing/chirping away like nothing is wrong. Just can't stand up.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is sad. I think the sling or a chick chair would be good to continue and place her next to food and water. Then also keep doing physical therapy and gentle range of motion exercises.

8. mama shane

mama shane New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    Gladeville, TN
    Thanks for your input. I will post if any changes

9. mama shane

mama shane New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    Gladeville, TN
    She is walking! I woke up Saturday morning and she had escaped her sling and was walking around my laundry room[​IMG] I have been feeding her extra vitamin B complex in her water and the starter crush plus some chicken physical therapy. Lol. Thanks for all the input

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You are welcome, and thanks for the update. I hope she has a good life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by