Jeremeyclarkson

Hatching
Apr 25, 2018
IMG_5838.JPG
IMG_5840.JPG
IMG_5844.JPG
IMG_5845.JPG
IMG_5842.JPG
this little one is nearly 3 days old now and hasn't been able to walk, just sort of hobbles along/slides itself forward. at first we thought it was a bad case of splayed leg and made a brace for it but now are afraid it might be something worse since it does not like to use its right leg at all - is it because it has crooked toes as well? it's left leg is splayed and the right it sort of curls under itself. this is our first time hatching chicks please help us help this little baby out and get her healthy, thank you.

Looks like a mix of splayed and the toes curling in. Try making a splint using a thin but sturdy sponge and medical tape. Poe two holes in the sponge for the chick and then also wrap the legs together with medical tape. Might struggle walking, so you will need to bring her food and water and heat. For the curled toes, try doing a splint like the photo below. Good luck!
splint.jpg

:frow
Are these eggs you hatched from your own flock?
If so be sure to feed your breeding stock additional vitamins and minerals for a few weeks before you collect eggs to hatch next time.
Most of the time these type "deformities" can be prevented, sometimes they just happen.

Here is a good link, that was written by a BYC member, you may want to read through:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Looks like a mix of splayed and the toes curling in. Try making a splint using a thin but sturdy sponge and medical tape. Poe two holes in the sponge for the chick and then also wrap the legs together with medical tape. Might struggle walking, so you will need to bring her food and water and heat. For the curled toes, try doing a splint like the photo below. Good luck! View attachment 1398271
thank you! would you be able to attach a photo of the spine splint you mentioned? also the right leg it doesn't straighten out at all and hasn't tried supporting its weight on it, it this just because of the curled toes?

I'm sorry, I was unable to find the photo. Let me see if I can describe it better.

Take a thin sponge (such as a ScotchBrite or makeup sponge) and cut two holes in it so the when you hold the chick up it's legs look normal. Pull the sponge up to where it touches the underside of the chick. Then, take medical tape and wrap it around the chicks legs under the sponge a few times. Push the tape together in the middle.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Sorry I couldn't find the photo!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom