Chick lethargic and not growing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bird Brain, May 2, 2009.

1. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    About 11 days ago I bought a variety og day old chicks, including 2 grayish top hats. One died 2 days after it got here. My husband has pointed out that the other one hasnt gotten any bigger. Last night I had to clean up a pasty butt. Tonight, my hubby txts me at work to tell me its acting sickly and when I got home I thought it was dead. I quickly got some sugar water into it, an he picked up a bit and pooped on me. I have some baby bird formula I had bought just in case and managed to get some into it. He is now off his haunches and cheeping as much as usual. Should I be worried, or was it something like a drop in blood sugar? He really isnt getting any bigger and I saw her stock, she had no bantees...

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Wow, I really wish I could help with advice, but I'm new too. Hopefully he was just out of it and has recovered now...wishing you luck!

3. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Not sure, but it could be cocci. There are varying degrees of severity and it's pretty common.

4. Bird Brain

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    Its sleeping now but when I move and he wakes up he falls back on his haunches again, like hes weak.

Any cure for cocci? And why dont the other chicks have it?

5. Bird Brain

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    So 5 hrs later its still alive. I am going to get some duramycin at TSC but the whole Sunday thing...It wont be open for forever!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    yea, I'd get it some antibiotics and sugar water and make certain it drinks it at least every 2 hours (even through the night)

7. Bird Brain

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    Hes still going. I have woke n up several times to feed him. I have to pry his little beak open. Hes moving more than he was last feeding.. I have a headache from lack of sleep...

8. Bird Brain

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    Hes gone...

9. California Ducken

California Ducken Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG] At least you did what you could to try and save him and make him comfortable.

10. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Could have been some genetic problem too. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by