Chick lethargic- please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chloezoebob101, Mar 16, 2012.

1. I got some chicks yesterdays and one of my roosters are lethargic. he is noisy, but he can't stand up. he always lays down, and when he moves, its almost like he is scooting himself around the ground like a duck. Any advice?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've had a chick or two do this before. They often gain strength after a few days. A good thing to do would be to get some of those little "Chick Saver" packets. You mix them into their drinking water, and you could give the little chick some of that water with a dropper if he won't drink himself. That might perk him up and give him some well needed energy.

Also, boil a few eggs, and shop up the egg yolks very fine, and see if the little guy is interested in eating that. It's all protein, and will give him a good boost.

Good luck and I hope the chick perks up for you,
    Sharon

3. do you know if tractor supply sells the chick saver packets? If so, my dad can pick some up on his way home.
    instead of boiling, could I fry ( umm, i can't find the right word, not fry... cook on a pan?) the eggs instead? it would be a lot easier for us, i don't know how to boil eggs.
    I hope he does too! I had a chick do this in the batch before this, and she died soon after. :(

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, TSC has them. They come in little packets, sort of like the little wet wipes you get at a restaurant. They're very inexpensive. You get like, six packets for a few dollars.

You can't fry the eggs, but boiling an egg is super easy. Just put some water in a pan, and put the whole egg, shell and all in the pan, and when they start to boil, boil them for 10 minutes.

Then you can put the pan in the sink and run cold water over the eggs, then crack one and you'll have that little round yolk.

5. OK! how do I use thee packets?
    oh, I have boiled before, but i thought you had to crack the egg into the water.. I can't do that. wait! thats poaching! ok, I can boil it!
    thanks![​IMG]

6. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    Edit - I type slowly.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  7. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio

8. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    If you don't want to boil the eggs, you could always wisk them up with a little water and microwave them for about a minute(make sure you cover the dish, because they like to explode). They come out soft scrambled, and after a quick stir, are in small chick size pieces. Hope he gets better soon!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. i think i will have to boil then, because we don't have a microwave [​IMG]

10. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    I know this is off topic, but what do you use in place of the microwave(yes this is a very dumb question). I've been wanting to get rid of ours for a while, but we're pathetically dependant upon it for quick reheats, like coffee and left overs. Do you just use your stove or do you have something like a toaster oven?

How's your little chick? Has it made any improvement?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by