chick light bulb

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ravenking, Mar 1, 2017.

1. ravenking

ravenking Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    salisbury nc
    ok so i got my 1 week old chicks under a 100 wat reg bulb it keeps em good heat but for night time i wana use a red heat bulb is that ok its a 100 watt exo terra heat glow bulb 120v 60hz 100w is this bulb safe for nite time use or can i use reg bulb

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    why? Isn't the incandescent doing the job? Is the ex terra a reptile bulb? Don't use it if it has Teflon coating as it will outgas carbon monoxide and kill any age chicken.
    Best,
    Karen

3. ravenking

ravenking Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    salisbury nc
    its working good but do they need the light at night or can they sleep with it on

4. katieuppi

katieuppi Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm going to use a ceramic heat emitter. Great heat source that can be used in the same lamp. There's no light and it's safer than a bulb.

5. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    They need heat and a source of a light during the day (sun or lamp), they only need warmth at night, but it's okay if they have light too. If the current bulb is doing it's job then imo there is no need to switch.

I'm actually testing my 100w ceramic heat emitter in my chilly garage right now. I'm seeing how warm it'll register on a thermometer in the bottom of a box as though it were the brooder. Btw yes they do fit in the housing for the heat lamp bulbs from TSC, just in case anyone was wondering that like I was!

6. yousef88

yousef88 New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
    Hi all...guys is it ok to put a white or blue bulb for chicks...is it going to harm there eyes..

7. Jiffyrocks

Jiffyrocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY

It won't harm their eyes, but at night you should use a red one so they are able to sleep.

8. yousef88

yousef88 New Egg

Apr 2, 2017

9. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Red bulbs are best to use, helps to keep the chicks from pecking at eachother, especially if they already have a sore spot from being pecked.

10. yousef88

yousef88 New Egg

Apr 2, 2017

Actually i use the normal yelow bulb 40W..my chicks are 4 weeks old..i dont need a hot lamp cus the weather is hot in my country

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by