Chick Living with a Broken Neck???

cmeade9

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2021
UPDATE:

So… I let all the little dinosaurs out this morning and she is just fine with the rest of them! Running around, free ranging, feeding, drinking, etc. Like it never happened? Is it possible that she had something lodged in her throat? Haven’t felt of her neck yet but she is running around with it her head out just bee-bopping around as she always has. Idk but I’m happy! Here is a picture of her for your pleasure! She is a blue splashed Ameraucana and her name is ‘Splash’. I will also put a picture of her mama and pop as well. Her pop is a Splash roo named ‘Rip’ 😁

UPDATED ABOVE…So I came home from work today and noticed one of my 14 week old Ameraucana chicks not running and feeding with the others. Her head was kind of tucked back up into her body and she wasn’t extending her neck. I fed them all meal worms and she ate those and some cracked corn but wasn’t feeding around the yard like the others really. I let her be for a little bit and returned when they went to roost a few hours later. She was roosting but not in her normal spot and she had her mouth open as all the others (14 of them) did not. I picked her up and I immediately felt her neck where it literally felt like it was broken and in the shape of a ‘Z’. Everything else felt fine including her crop from what I could tell. I could massage her neck and she would stretch it and even pull it out on her own but when she stood still she would tuck it back in and keep her beak open. Doesn’t sound like Wry Neck to me as she walks around normal and holds her head upright and can extend, but prefers tucking it into her body. Anybody have any insight? I can provide pictures tomorrow but not sure it will show anything more than what I explained. Let me know if I can answer any questions or if you have any answers! Thank everyone!!!!

Attachments

• F3A448C7-6777-4318-9F3E-A9744AF0F8C1.jpeg
    F3A448C7-6777-4318-9F3E-A9744AF0F8C1.jpeg
    739.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DEB67360-EC96-4533-B38B-57750B0BBADE.jpeg
    DEB67360-EC96-4533-B38B-57750B0BBADE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 99B711F3-5C98-40FD-8395-EBF84A29B288.jpeg
    99B711F3-5C98-40FD-8395-EBF84A29B288.jpeg
    650.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
So I came home from work today and noticed one of my 14 week old Ameraucana chicks not running and feeding with the others. Her head was kind of tucked back up into her body and she wasn’t extending her neck. I fed them all meal worms and she ate those and some cracked corn but wasn’t feeding around the yard like the others really. I let her be for a little bit and returned when they went to roost a few hours later. She was roosting but not in her normal spot and she had her mouth open as all the others (14 of them) did not. I picked her up and I immediately felt her neck where it literally felt like it was broken and in the shape of a ‘Z’. Everything else felt fine including her crop from what I could tell. I could massage her neck and she would stretch it and even pull it out on her own but when she stood still she would tuck it back in and keep her beak open. Doesn’t sound like Wry Neck to me as she walks around normal and holds her head upright and can extend, but prefers tucking it into her body. Anybody have any insight? I can provide pictures tomorrow but not sure it will show anything more than what I explained. Let me know if I can answer any questions or if you have any answers! Thank everyone!!!!
If she is a pet, I suggest and xray. Hope she will be ok!

Best wishes to you

The pictures would be helpful. Wry neck can look different in each chicken. The head can be held up, down, or to the side. It is a neurologic symptom, seen in vitamin B1 thiamine or vitamin E deficiency, head or neck injuries, and in some diseases, such as Mareks disease. Giving a little thiamine (B1) and 400 IU of vitamin E can be helpful.

Some chickens may suffer spinal deformities that may worsen with age. Again pictures of her could be helpful.

The pictures would be helpful. Wry neck can look different in each chicken. The head can be held up, down, or to the side. It is a neurologic symptom, seen in vitamin B1 thiamine or vitamin E deficiency, head or neck injuries, and in some diseases, such as Mareks disease. Giving a little thiamine (B1) and 400 IU of vitamin E can be helpful.

Some chickens may suffer spinal deformities that may worsen with age. Again pictures of her could be helpful.
Thanks for the info. I will get some pics tomorrow morning. Is it possible to just pop up like that though? Around noon she was completely fine, and 4 hours later her neck is like this. Is Wry neck something that just hits out of nowhere? Almost seems like she ran into something and just fractured it. But would she be able to live if that was the case?

Again, I will get some pics tomorrow morning. Thank you again!

Thanks for the info. I will get some pics tomorrow morning. Is it possible to just pop up like that though? Around noon she was completely fine, and 4 hours later her neck is like this. Is Wry neck something that just hits out of nowhere? Almost seems like she ran into something and just fractured it. But would she be able to live if that was the case?

Again, I will get some pics tomorrow morning. Thank you again!
She could definitely have a fracture and still be alive, but if so, it could always get worse if it isn't able to heal on its own with time, or cause paralysis or mortality. The chicken vitamins won't hurt, so I would give her the supplements until you can get her to the vet. Even if it is a fracture, it may still heal just fine. There are other issues that can cause wry neck, but start by ruling things out and at the same time observing for other symptoms.

She could definitely have a fracture and still be alive, but if so, it could always get worse if it isn't able to heal on its own with time, or cause paralysis or mortality. The chicken vitamins won't hurt, so I would give her the supplements until you can get her to the vet. Even if it is a fracture, it may still heal just fine. There are other issues that can cause wry neck, but start by ruling things out and at the same time observing for other symptoms.
Thank you for the info! I posted an update above!

Back
Top Bottom