Chick looks like she's gasping??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fitfarmgirl, Mar 17, 2017.

1. fitfarmgirl

fitfarmgirl New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    First time momma and my 3 week old RIR looks like she is gasping. I have seen her eat and drink fine but I'm concerned.

We have moved them tonight from a tote in the bathroom to a large dog crate in the living area of the house. But I don't know what could be bothering her or what I should do.

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Is/was she under a heat lamp?

3. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Could she be overheated?

4. fitfarmgirl

fitfarmgirl New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    They have a lamp and it's 75 at the cool end 80 under the lamp

5. fitfarmgirl

fitfarmgirl New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    [​IMG]
    She is in the crate on the left. They all seem happy with the new arrangement.

6. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    The cool side should be cooler than just 5 degrees less than the warm side. I think 60 on the cool side would be great. Even less that that would be great also from my experience. My last batch of chicks hatched late last year. The chicks stayed with their mom. They were out running around, eating, and drinking when it was in the 20s and they were just little fuzz balls. When they got chilled they'd go to mom and she'd warm them for a minute or 2. Then they'd be out doing chick things again. Chicks will also feather faster if they can get to a cooler place.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by