Chick lose mom to predator - will another hen adopt them ?? 3 weeks old chicks

Let new mom out with chicks out today and came home to find no mom and chicks in with the rest of the flock in the coop. Chicks are small enough to get thru fence. So my question will another hen adopt them or do I need to raise them separately. 2 chicks. Thanks for input.

Place chicks under another broody hen with chicks tonight. Bonding must succeed both ways. Check interactions first thing in the morning / dawn. Some hens more inclined to adopt than others so requires a try and seen effort. Do not attempt with hen not currently with chicks.

Let new mom out with chicks out today and came home to find no mom and chicks in with the rest of the flock in the coop. Chicks are small enough to get thru fence. So my question will another hen adopt them or do I need to raise them separately. 2 chicks. Thanks for input.
If the orphaned chicks are smaller and younger than the chicks belonging to the surrogate mother there is a greater likelihood of success. Hens seldom tolerate chicks that pose a danger to her own biddies.

Thank you but no other hens have chicks so was wondering if another would step in and play mommy duty but it doesn't look like it so far.

Back
Top Bottom