Chick Loss Question..

sariua

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 2, 2008
I'm buying chicks today and I really just want about six or so total when they grow up. What are your experiences with Chick Deaths? Are they common? If so, why? Have you ever lost any chicks?

I was reading a book and it said something about buying 25% more chicks than what you want to end up with as adults because some die and some you have to cull because of defects. I'm wondering if I should buy more than six..

I have 3, all from the same hatchery and I didn't hatch any of them. They're all doing quite well so far.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39604

That
sticky might help you out. I've probably lost a few dozen chicks... but I've had birds shipped, hatched, brooded by hens, meat birds and so on for more than a decade. Loss is expected, and how the chicks get to you can make a big difference in how well the survive. Shipping is the biggest reason for loss though in my expereince. If you buy from a feed store pre shipped, likly the weak ones already died.

I do not think that a 25% is a certain but I think there are many factors. If you order them through a feed store, TCS or etc, then you will get live chicks and not lose them in shipping. You also stand a better chance of being able to choose the heathiest looking ones.

But, I ordered 6 and all were healthy and are now 10 weeks old. I one pasty butt and that lasted for 2 days.

So, order what you want and maybe add one or two but if you are picking them up, order what you want.

I am trying to think how many chick's I've ordered in the past few years... somewhere between 70 and 100...

In the first 8 weeks of their lives I have lost zero chicks. None dead on arrival, lots of pasty buts but no deaths from it, a few chicks who seemed a bit "off" but yogurt and electrolites picked them up...

Am I that great a chicken mommy?
tongue.png

No... There a few things you can do... Make sure you order your chicks from a good hatchery, order when the weather is going to be nice (not March, not July), and cross your fingers. So much of that is luck...

I also think that heritage breeds are often hardier then the hybrids, especially the meat birds, which I have never played with, but have heard they have a tendency to drop like flies...

But in any case 25% loss seems high to me...

Back
Top Bottom