Chick loss

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pudellvr, Mar 1, 2012.

1. pudellvr

pudellvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Florence, SC
    My Coop
    One of our TSC Production Reds died in my hand this morning. She was lethargic. I couldn't find anything visibly wrong with her and she seemed fine last night. We buried her under the cherry tree. Of course this was traumatic for both my children.

They have decided that they want to try hatching some eggs now!!!

Oh my!

2. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    [​IMG](((hugs))) I was worried about that this morning as well. My kids were at the brooder, I asked if they were all "awake" and moving. Yup! I'm sorry about your little loss.

3. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    Sorry for your loss.

Your kids sound like great chicken keepers! I know the loss was hard on them, but it's great that they want to continue raising chicks, especially trying to hatch their own.[​IMG]

4. pudellvr

Jun 6, 2008
    Florence, SC
    My Coop
    I wish I could figure out what happened. I wonder if she got too much loving? ;(( I have forbidden hands in the crate without my direct permission. They are all lively today. I had to redo their brooder today anyways because of water damage. They are on sand covered with paper towel now. We will see how it goes.

5. dallandrafae

dallandrafae Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2011
    so sorry for your loss. i lost one of my chicks after it hatched so i can sympathize. hope the others are all well xx

6. pudellvr

Jun 6, 2008
    Florence, SC
    My Coop
    I was afraid last night that we were going to lose another chick. However with lots of watering she pulled thru and is acting like a happy chick today. I was so glad to see her preening and drinking and eating on her own today.

I made some mash with their chick feed a bit of water and a drizzle of molasses this morning. They loved it! It really seemed to help them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by