Chick lost a leg. Care questions

Apr 5, 2018
One of my chicks got her leg pecked off by mom(first time mother) and I put some triple antibacterial on the stub, put it on a clean napkin and it's resting in my shirt pocket right now.

I know that chances of survival are pretty slim, but if anyone has suggestions for solutions, or even just comfort measures, I would appreciate it.

How often do they usually eat and drink? I was thinking I would offer it every 2-3 hours? If it were awake I would probably offer on the hour, but it's sleeping very soundly, and probably needs to be for any potential recovery. Does that sound reasonable?

Matejka

Free Ranging
Don't try to save this baby. Why put it thru pain?
And yes! It's in pain.
I usually try to promote healing, care for injury etc....
This time, a one legged chicken, still a baby, no.
A strong no. Too many obstacles to overcome, and undo pain and suffering for the chick.
Cull it.
Killing an animal is hard for us emotionally, but sometimes it has to be done.

Apr 5, 2018
Don't try to save this baby. Why put it thru pain?
And yes! It's in pain.
I usually try to promote healing, care for injury etc....
This time, a one legged chicken, still a baby, no.
A strong no. Too many obstacles to overcome, and undo pain and suffering for the chick.
Cull it.
Killing an animal is hard for us emotionally, but sometime

Ravenlover

Bird lover,idk I'll think of something later 😂
Jun 22, 2020
Didn’t the first one lose its leg? The all white one that passed. It got around ok on the one leg after vet care tho I thought.
Oh the baby button it lost a foot cuz when it was born it somehow broke it's foot that day in the incubator (old bad one) and it got worse basicly vet but if u can't afford one and still wish to try then triple anti biotic ointment that's safe for them and keep a eye and comfy and alone with attention but that was a button quail

Top Bottom