Chick lost! HELP!

ChickMandy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Amaranth Ontario
My kids had our six week old chicks in the backyard this afternoon and three went missing. Two were under the deck, and I was able to get them out, but the third is nowhere to be seen.

Do chicks have a tendency to wander off, or are they homebodies? Our property is about an acre and a half, with a small section of tall grass/swampy mud. I am almost eight months pregnant, so it's kind of hard for me to bend down and look under things, but I'm trying.

If the chick would stick close to the house, then I can cap my search to that area. I certainly don't want to leave it out over night, it surely won't make it.

Thanks,
Mandy
Amaranth Township
Grand Valley, Ontario

Take one of the other chicks out with you---and walk around with it--while it is cheeping its head off--listen for the other...if itt's close it should come running....Or if you can't have someone do this for you....

Thanks!! I haven't heard it cheeping away, but we've got a lot of other wild birds making a racket outside, so it's kind of hard to hear. I will bring one of her kind out, and hopefully we can find her.

We found her under another part of the deck. She came out but was too quick for us to catch. She seems to have gone in farther. We can hear her peeping, but she just doesn't want to be caught. I've also tried putting out food (it worked for the other ones) but she's not interested.

Sigh ... I hope we get her before the sun goes down. My husband will be very unhappy if she stays "lost."

If it's not found as it's getting close to dusk, set up some kind of light outside. Sometimes they will come to the light as it gets dark. Might put one or two of the other peeping chicks out there too, if you can contain them and make sure they are safe from predators (suggest you supervise this activity closely to avoid losing more!).

I hope you can get him, Ill bet you look back one day and say when i was 8 months pregnant I.....
gig.gif

Best of luck
~Brandon

She's out! And in the process we lost another one. Good grief. My four year old brought one out and it fell asleep in his arms. He thought it had died, so he put it in the ditch at the end of our driveway. After much coaxing, he told us what happened, and where he had put it. I saw it just sitting there, and my daughter was able to get down and pick it up with ease.

I never want to have to go through this again! In total, it took over four hours to get the chicks. I'm exhausted and lucky I didn't go into premature labour!!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

yuckyuck.gif

It's not funny that it happened, but I kind of totally understand.

Our chicks seem to be like children & dealing with your children at the same time is kind of like trying to corral a flock. (shhhh sometimes I think the chickens are easier)

Back
Top Bottom