Chick lying on back

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ofeliaknits, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ofeliaknits

ofeliaknits New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm new to the community and have gotten my first order of five chicks the other day! They are one each of Easter Egger, Silkie, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, and Barred Plymouth Rock. Everyone seems to be very happy and healthy; they're all eating, running around the coopy happily, etc. My Rhode Island Red has a bit of pasty butt, but after reading a tip on here about Vaseline, it cleared up wonderfully and she seems much happier!

Yesterday, we caught our Easter Egger lying on her back under the heat lamp twice. She has no signs of pasting, and I've been watching her--she's walking and running around fine, and is eating and drinking. I haven't been able to find any information online about this happening. Does anyone know if this is normal? I poked her a bit and she got up, but it was almost as if she were stuck there like a turtle! It's very cute, but I'm worried that this is a sign that something is wrong. Help is appreciated!

2. Darryl508

Darryl508 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    pomona mo
    some of my chicks when they were a few days old laid on there backs too nothing to worry about .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by