1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick making a funny sound

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickaboo7, Jun 29, 2007.

1. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    my chick makes a vibrating sound/feel when we hold her. what is this?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    nerves? scared? Telling you to "put me down"? Who knows, but itsn't it adorable!?[​IMG]

3. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    When she does this she seems very content almost asleep

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    It's the chicken equivalent of purring. A couple of mine do this while some the others clack their beak when they are contented.
    Stephanie

5. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Some of mine do this too. As soon as I take the top off, they hop up on the edge and wait for me to pick them up, and as soon as I do they lie down in my hand. Then I pet their backs and they make this little purling-chirpy kind of noise. I dunno what it means exactly, but they obviously are enjoying, and it's so cute!

Sometimes everyone else freezes and I think they are listening. I keep hoping my few really wild-childs will catch on that it's **OK** to be picked up. It's hard to manage those few when I want to move them all.

[​IMG]

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by