Chick making crackling sounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jean67, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Jean67

Jean67 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    I got my second batch of chicks 2 days ago. Everyone is eating and drinking normally and they are very active. Saturday night I noticed that one of them was making a crackling sound. It's only noticable when you hold her near your face and she seems to be otherwise healthy. This morning I picked up a packet of oxytetracycline but I'm not sure if I should give it to her because when I picked her up to listen to her the crackling sound has lessened alot. Should I still medicate her? And if so, should I also medicate the other chicks in her brooder? Right now all of the new chicks are seperated from the ones I got a week and a half ago. She is around a week old and is on sand bedding.

2. MySweetChickens

MySweetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
    It sounds like a respiratory infection I use Teramyacine and it usually goes away after a week

3. Jean67

Jean67 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    Thanks for your help! Should I go ahead and treat them all then? Is the oxytetracycline ok to use? It's the only antibiotic my feed store had.

4. MySweetChickens

MySweetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
    I would treat them all oxytetracycline should work as far as bedding I have never used sand but make sure they don't eat too much of it otherwise it will give them impacted crop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by