Chick making no progress, 36 hours now

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TaraBellaBirds, Aug 22, 2014.

1. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Hatch date was Thursday 8/21. Most hatched late Tues night (I always have early hatches on my mixed breeds for some reason). I removed 13 fluffy babies Wed evening and left one newly hatched and three in progress. Two of the three were out Thurs morning, but the one little fella still had a large hole. It has not zipped, and I can see a beak, head, part of the abdomen (at least a portion where I can see breathing), and what I think is a toe.

[​IMG]

This was the best pic i could get. He has been like this for 36 hours now and looks like he is weakening.

I understand assisting is a beg risk and have never done it before. Should I try, or should I let him either thrive or die? I know it sounds callous but he is not an expensive breeder bird or anything but I would like to save him if I can! Any ideas or experience would be appreciated!

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I admit to being over zealous, patience is not one of my virtues.

BUT 36 hours I would be helping it for sure, it is fairly obvious it will not hatch on it own. BUT be prepared for it to be dead or die..

3. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    It is alive at the moment. I am just nervous about hitting a vessal, plus three little curious boys can make a stressful situation more stressful! I think I will read some threads and see how I will do this, if I decide to. I just don't want to make things worse or kill a chick that would have made it if left alone!

4. Pocahontas7799

Pocahontas7799 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This is just my personal experience with this, but years ago I was raising bantams and had a chick in the same situation. He struggled for about 20 hours and I finally stepped in and took the risk. He was very dehydrated at that point and I have him electrolytes in his water for the first 2 days and he perked back up. Sometimes the longer you wait to step in, the lower the chance he will pull through. The mother hen didn't reject him but she was a little tougher on him. When he grew up, he became the biggest and most beautiful bantam rooster in my flock. He was almost 2 pounds heavier than my other bantam roosters! I don't know if this was a because one of my breeding roos was mixed breed but he was a miracle to me. In the end, it's your decision. It will be extra work to try to save it and get it's strength back.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Read the articles on assisting. Make sure you break the egg in the air sac area..... Good luck...

6. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay! I simply chipped safely away the shell near her initial pip. The membrane was super dry but detached from the shell. No veins were breached and I stopped where the membrane was still attached. So now it is up to her, my Son named her Hope!

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I would agree with Duluthralphie, 36 hrs is way too long for it to happen on it's own. If you intend to assist, now is the time without further delay. I assisted one of my first chicks a few months ago. If you go very slow and gentle, even if you damage a blood vessel as long as you stop immediately and perhaps have some corn starch on hand to stem any blood flow, it is better than waiting until it is too late. Even if you just break the shell enough to give the chick half a chance to break out itself.Then put it down and watch for 10-15 mins to see if it can manage the rest it's self and if not, then help some more. It will not be a blood bath, so don't worry about the children being horrified. Death is also a part of life and children are perhaps better able to cope with this than we adults are.

I was a bit like you a few months ago with my first brood, in that I was anxious about helping and knew it was risky. Mine was only about 12hrs or so but the other chicks had all hatched and mother hen had abandoned this egg in the nest. It was silent and cold when I picked it up, but after 20 mins of being held in my warm hand it started to cheep and struggle. I knew it was dangerous to assist but I also knew that I had to help. I went very gently and although I did cause a TINY bit of bleeding, I stopped and waited for it to dry up before I continued. The chick turned out fine and by the next day I couldn't even tell which one it was.

Go for it girl! You can do it.

Good luck

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  8. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Just see that you had a go whilst I was typing. Well done!

Keeping my fingers crossed for Hope!

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Let us know how it turns out..

Hoping for the best.

10. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I'd open that egg up quick! 36 hours is way past the time I'd let them try on their own. Usually if they can't zip themselves there is something wrong- not always but sometimes. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by