Chick Math, Again!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SkyWarrior, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I minored in math and my bachelors was in computer science. I was a rocket scientist before I became an author. I have no excuse for this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

We agreed on 6 chickens.

We bought 2 Leghorns, 2 Black Sex Links and 2 Golden Sex Links.
    I bought 4 EE from a breeder.
    I wanted turkeys and geese, so 2 turkeys and 2 geese. They had EEs, so I bought 2 of those and 2 RIR.
    Saw cornish X's on sale 2 for 1 -- bought 6. With the Cornish X they offered me two RIR roos that looked like pullets as a 2 for 1. Got 2.
    Didn't realize the BSL were actually BR and thought they were roos. Bought 3 BSL pullets to replace them.

Lost 1 Cornish x; butchered the other 5.
    Lost a turkey; DH says buy 4 Buff Orpingtons. [​IMG] [​IMG]

So: 6 = 2 + 2 +2 + 4 +2 + 2 + 6 + 2 - 6 + 3 + 4 = 23 chickens plus 1 turkey and 2 geese.

Chicken math is catching. My DH has it too. [​IMG]

Maybe it's a decimal point thing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I love how you got 2 bsl, and when you replaced them, did it with 3 bsl pullets [​IMG] I have found the missing link!!

I understand. I was only getting 2 hens total. Only had room for 2 hens total. Live in the city and am an underground chicken owner, so REALLY can ONLY have 2 TOTAL!

What happened?

I have 2 girls outside, and 4 more being brooded inside. OOPS! Hahaha

3. debo4702

debo4702 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Wadley Ala
    [​IMG]

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    We were going to stop at a nice perfect number 10 ... at one point. Now we have nearly 40, I think. And two hens setting on 24 eggs!!! But eggs don't really count, right? LOL!!!

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Move the decimal over and divide by pi.
    That should do it!

6. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:[​IMG]

You learn fast! We'll get along here! [​IMG]

7. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I'm sitting here right now trying to figure out how I am going to fit 12 chickens into my coop I built for our flock of "Only 4 layers." Was going to build a larger coop, but we may relocate within the year and I'd rather wait and invest in a new coop then. looks like an expansion project is in the cards.

8. hcountrygirl420

hcountrygirl420 New Egg

Nov 23, 2009
    Morgan Co. Alabama
    I understand completely!! I told my son that we would order 8, so we did. Then I had the bright idea that it would be a great experience for him to be able to see eggs hatch so we built an incubator and a friend gave us 12 cobb/ross eggs to hatch. 10 hatched...i was expecting maybe 4 being a homeade bator and a first time hatcher...so we had 18 at that point...lost one of the meat birds...so we were at 17. Got the coop built and put the birds in it. Went on vacation for a few days and came home and had to go to TSC for supplies...Guess what..it was chick days!!! came home with 6 more...23 total now... Gave the 9 meat birds to a friend who wanted them..Down to 14...went back to TSC for more pine bedding(it was on sale) and brought home 8 bantams...lost one of those so we leveled out at 21. Out of that I only have 2 roos...how I managed that I'll never know!! So now I have 2 coops. One at my house and one at my parents house, thankfully they live just down the road. Oh I almost forgot..I have 9 week old chicks that we hatched from ILOVEFRIZZLES....so make that 30... [​IMG]

9. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    BYC is like the opposite of "Chicken-holics Anonymous" because instead of helping one another fight our addictions we all support each other in our "chicken math" and rationalization.... and I wouldn't want it any other way!!!

*Laura (started with a plan for 3-4 hens, now have THIRTEEN)

10. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Quote:I am soooo glad I am not the only geek who does chicken math. Electrical Engineer here with a minor in math. I was the one that did NOT want chickens, until.......

I went to a chicken swap with the intention to buy 4 chicks. Came home with 9. Went on a trip and lost 3. Sent DH (PhD I might add) to get 2 and HE came home with 5. Added 2 more because they were cute and he didn't get one of the breeds I requested, so I had to do it. Two weeks later added 2 more cute ones - just put them in the brooder and it took him hours to notice - he just smiled. That night a door was left open and there was an accident and we lost 2. Went out the next day and picked up 2 more. Two days later HAD to have the Blue Polish, so 2 more.

So:

4 = 9 - 3 +5 + 2 + 2 - 2 + 2 + 2 = 16! QED

The coop is only for 6-8 chickens - still need to remedy that! He is currently in France and is emailing me design additions daily. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by