Chick Math

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Clucknut, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Clucknut

Clucknut Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I’ve kept chickens off and on for years, but never heard the term “Chicken Math”, before seeing it here recently… I love it! There are as many ways that you can use it to your advantage, as there are ways you can fall victim to it.
    I decided I wanted to go with assorted OEGBs this time around. I also decide on a flock of a dozen or so hens, and a rooster or two. I’m in the process of building a new coop/run that I feel will be adequate.
    Here’s the math I used when planning my new flock… 30 straight-run, mail-order chicks, divided by half, (Cockerels to the pot and freezer.) minus a few losses in shipping, etc…
    I set up a brooder, got the call from the post office at 6 AM this morning, and picked up my peeping box.
    [​IMG]

Well, there were no losses in shipping. Everyone seems to be doing great. Just one needed a little extra work getting it to drink and eat, and even though I have too many, I don’t want to lose any… (Know what I mean?) On top of that, Cackle sent 7 extra!…. “Chicken Math!” [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It’s going to be crowded around here for a while… Double cleaning duty, no doubt.
    [​IMG]

So…. How old does a banty have to be before there’s something edible there? I’m not talking maximum yield. I mean… people eat doves. Right?[​IMG]

2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    well...the honest truth is that bantams don't have to be any older than LF do. They are just smaller birds. I think the standard time is like 10-14weeks minimum...but i'm not really sure...i've never done the soup pot end of things (as soon as they hatched they went to my grandfather-I only handled the eggers)

3. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Of course, if you accidentally build that new coop "too big" you will simply be forced to get even more chicks to fill it so they don't get cold or lonely...

4. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    ah please post under the meat birds section, this section is for chicken LOVERS [​IMG] , not EATERS [​IMG] . Thank you.

5. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    We ALL eat chicken![​IMG]

6. Clucknut

Clucknut Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Didn’t mean to offend anyone. I care deeply about the health, well being, and ethical treatment of all animals… Pets, livestock, and wildlife. I posted here about my new chicks. Would I post a picture of their shipping box, if I wasn’t excited about having them? I love watching them play and grow. Even meat breeds start out as cute, fuzzy little peepers, just like my new banties. They all deserve the best of care, no matter what their place will be in the circle of life. By nature, surplus roos are a part of it all. Better that their existence serves a purpose.

7. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    Komaki I DON'T eat chicken. havent in 8 years.

8. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Quote:Not offended, I eat chicken, but haven't the heart to butcher (and had to agree to terms if I was going to have chickens...none will become a meal!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by