Chick medical care

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Erika Guerrero, May 9, 2018.

1. Erika Guerrero

Erika Guerrero In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2018
    Hey! I recently tried incubating quails for the first time but it didn’t work. Fortunately, my hen at home had 3 chicks on Saturday! This morning, she had her 4th chick, and the first thing I do when I get back home from school is i check on the chicks. I only counted 3, and i felt very concerned, I suddenly heard some peeps and her newborn chick had been buried in the dirt:-( I’m assuming that the momma hen didn’t want the chick and pecked it because the chicks face has been skinned :-(. I decided to bring the chick inside, clean the dirt off, and put it in the incubator because the chick was very cold when I picked it up. The chick is now peeping and moving a little, but I don’t know how I should clean its cut, any suggestions? Also, I let my sister watch him for a while, and she claims to have seen the chick have a seizure like action, is it possible for chicks to have seizures and if so what do I do to help it?
    Thanks so much, I’m just very concerned and hope the chick survives!

Attached Files:

2. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma Broken crayons still color

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    Awe that poor baby!
    With something like that I'm just not experienced to make suggestions. Maybe @Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock can help. Goodluck to you and your baby :fl:hugs

granny hatchet likes this.
  3. Erika Guerrero

Apr 20, 2018
    Thank you for the advice! I’ll check them for tips!

Cayuga momma likes this.
  4. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Oh dear I'm afraid that's very severe. Sometimes hens just don't accept certain chicks. Definitely be sure to watch her closely with the others and I wish you the best of luck with this little one.

I know the people that will come here can give you the best advice possible. However it's chances are not very good particularly if it is having seizures it must be in a great deal of pain.

Erika Guerrero likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Since the chick was covered in dirt, you will want to clean her up the best you can. Use saline to rinse/flush her wound since it looks like it mainly the head and eyes. Try to get as much debris off as you can.
    Apply Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

Putting her in the incubator to warm her up was a good idea, but you will want to get her into a brooder. Do you have a place where you can set one up?

Do your best to get your chick hydrated. 1-2drops direct dose of Poultry Nutri-Drench would be good.

6. Erika Guerrero

Apr 20, 2018
    Ok thanks! I’ll try to make a brooder tomorrow and properly take care of it’s wound! I was very afraid and thought that putting anything on the chick to clean it up would harm it because it’s so young, thank you so much!

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Erika Guerrero likes this.
  8. Erika Guerrero

Apr 20, 2018
    To those of you that helped me, thank you so much. Unfortunately, I believe the chick was in too much pain and I woke up early this morning to check to see how the chick made it through the night, but it turns out that the chick did not. This morning I buried the little one, I’m very sad, but atleast the chick is no longer suffering.

9. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma Broken crayons still color

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    I am so sorry for your loss.:hit

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm very sorry:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: