Chick meets hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kate Lawry, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Kate Lawry

Kate Lawry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    I need some advice!
    Now I have discovered my 19wks chicks are both girls and have named them Satay and Tikka, I need to introduce them to the 2 hens we already have, Sam and Ella (which are over a yr old)
    We have had a small coup in the larger hen coup for about 3 weeks now so they can all see each other. I am just really worried about putting them together. The other day we tested the water at dusk and let them meet, but Ella (A bluebelle RIR hybrid) chased Satay (A tiny barred cochin Bantam) round the pen I couldn't watch and had to put the babys away!
    Should we get it over and done with and put them together or wait a few more weeks? Will my Bantam get any bigger? She is about a quarter of the size of Ella, who has decided she is Boss!

Please advise!

Kate x

My babies- Satay and Tikka
    [​IMG]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    19 weeks old, those aren't babies [​IMG]

There will be some chasing and establishing of pecking order, if you can sit back and watch they should be fine.

3. GrandmaCluck

GrandmaCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    I just introduced my 31 six-week old chicks to my 2 one year old hens. Well not exactly... As soon as I got my baby chicks I put them in the coop with the hens but had them separated. At 5 weeks I let them out in the chicken run but again had them separated. This week I let the chicks have full access to the run which is 25 x 50 feet. I stood out there with a broom just in case I would have to chase the hens off. There was a bunch of chasing but after a few hours the chicks learned when the hens come around to go someplace else. The hens will usually just chase them away from the feeders showing that they will eat first. I also purchased a flock block and put that in the yard. I no longer separate them in the coop either. There's plenty of space. There was some squawking but all went well. The chicks love it - they run around outside - run in the coop - run back out. I have feeding stations both in the coop and outside. I was prepared for pecking injuries but not one happened. When I feed them treats I always give to the older hens first. Hope this helps.

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    What if a rooster is involved??

5. Kate Lawry

Kate Lawry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    Well today we went for it!
    There was some chasing and pecking but really it went well and we left them together all day, we will probably keep them separate at night for a while as mornings may be tricky with feeding.
    It much nicer for the little ones to have more room to run around.
    I think having them together but separate for a few weeks definately helped the meeting process and I put some of the babies feathers in the hens sleeping area to help them get used to their smell- not sure if that worked!
    Just worried about the neighbours cats now!

Kate

6. GrandmaCluck

GrandmaCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    I don't have any adult roos. But when there isn't a rooster around, one of the hens will normally take the role of the rooster (as far as dominance goes). Cinnamon definitely took that role - she rules the roost as they say. She was the one I especially had to watch for behavior problems. I have 3 little roos - I think Cinnamon will have a rude awakening when they grow up. I would suggest having an outside run big enough so that the younger ones have room to escape. Also stick some bales of straw/hay - whatever to give them a place to hide. Be prepared though - there is always going to be some confrontation as they establish their pecking order. That's just how chickens are. Maybe if someone has an adult rooster they could answer your question better.

7. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    my rir rooster has never chasesd the young ones . he doesnt care at all that they are there., he even takes care of them. now an older roo he doesnt hurt it but he chases it away from every thing cant eat nor drink and dont even think about crowing ,

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Lucky you! My dad's RIR roo likes to kill the chicks, I tell ya, if I could catch that bird [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by