Chick might be blind?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NurseNettie, Jun 5, 2008.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    We've got 13 chicks- 1 we hatched, 12 bought from someone here. One of the ones we bought has been "different" from the beginning.. We thought it was because it was the youngest of the group (we buddied him with our hatch for the first week- now they're all together). He wobbles a bit, stays separate from the others, but is otherwise growing, eating, pooping- everything he should-- just isn't as steady on his feet. He's also the only one that doesn't scatter when we reach in the brooder, and peeps far quieter than the others. He doesn't startle like they do at all..
    So, we watched him, and he does find food and water well, but does seem to be "feeling" his way around. I picked him up and held him, and he doesn't seem to react to light or if we wave our hands near his eyes, so we really think it's blind.
    So... can anyone tell us what we should do for him? He's growing and doesn't seem to be picked on. My step son really loves this one and we've already decided that he and the first hatch are our only "special", or named birds until we decide who will become our laying flock, and who will be butchered.. so we're prepared to take care of him, even if it means keeping him separate, and paying special attention to what he needs to be safe.
    Anyone else with any experience with a "special" bird?
    (( just as fyi-- as long as he continues growing and in no apparent pain, or doesn't seem to have some other issue that is causing this, he's a pet, and we won't be dispatching him, so I'm not looking for that sort of advice! [​IMG]

2. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    My granny breeds beagles and occasonally something will happen and she will get a blind pup. She gives them extra love but other wise keeps um with the rest. They will be more accident prone however. I think he will be fine. Just keep an eye on him. [​IMG]

3. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Thanks!!
    I've gotten several PM's and some great advice. "Bumbles" ( as we named him/her when we noticed it stumbling) is doing really well and we'll just see how things go!
    If he/she doesn't get picked on, we may let it live in the barn with the others-we'll have to see as time goes by what happens. If not, we've got a nice spot just off the house that's fenced in and would be a perfect place for a little coop and run. We're starting to think that 'he' is a roo- that comb is growing fast, but since I just don't know too much about any breeds traits, I won't know for awhile (he's a barred rock/ white leghorn cross).
    I think he may see some, but not much. His pupils dilate with light from the flashlight, but he doesn't react at all like I'd expect. We've done all the "tricks" and "tests" we can think of- sneaking up, waving etc, but nothing. Today... when the others scattered, he came to the side of the brooder I was on and pecked until he reached the wall and stopped and waited for me to pick him up.
    He's such a doll!!!

4. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I think I have a blind chick too, however he doesn't find food and water and has to be hand fed , he is half the size of the others . I don't know how to get him to eat and drink on his own.He is called peppino and my daughter is determined to make him live . Maybe yours is not blind just short sighted ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by