Chick might be dying

If you can't identify, even in the ballpark of whether the bugs were beetles or flying insects, we can't know that there's any relationship between the bugs and this chick being sick.

That this chick became so sick so quickly leads me to believe it consumed a darkling beetle that was harboring Clostridium, a very virile bacteria that can kill in as little as 24 hours after exposure.

If you know where these "bugs" came from, it would be a good idea to locate their source and eradicate it.

It might also be a good idea to locate a source for an antibiotic in case your other two chicks begin to show signs if being sick. This is what I use and where I get it. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/

In case this is another disease than what might have been transmitted by those "bugs", please look inside this sick chick's mouth and see if it's full of a smelly, gummy, pasty substance.

Its mouth is stinky but not pasty.Here is how it looks .The other two chicks are completely fine.

Attachments

• 16011407095966608101761003250790.jpg
    16011407095966608101761003250790.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 16011407371616415579201313433604.jpg
    16011407371616415579201313433604.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for checking the mouth. We can rule out canker as the source of illness and odor.

Termites or flying ants won't make a chick sick. But this chick had to have come into contact with something toxic for it to become this sick so quickly.

It certainly would help if you'd include your location in your profile. It might give us a clue.

For example, several weeks ago, I had two chicks become very sick very fast and die, and I discovered a poisonous caterpillar was the villain. It happens to inhabit ponderosa pine trees, and I found two of them just feet from my run.

Can you try to describe more clearly what the odor coming from this chick smells like?

For example, is it sour like buttermilk or sour milk? Is it like roadkill? Is it stinky like poop?

Thanks for checking the mouth. We can rule out canker as the source of illness and odor.

Termites or flying ants won't make a chick sick. But this chick had to have come into contact with something toxic for it to become this sick so quickly.

It certainly would help if you'd include your location in your profile. It might give us a clue.

For example, several weeks ago, I had two chicks become very sick very fast and die, and I discovered a poisonous caterpillar was the villain. It happens to inhabit ponderosa pine trees, and I found two of them just feet from my run.

Can you try to describe more clearly what the odor coming from this chick smells like?

For example, is it sour like buttermilk or sour milk? Is it like roadkill? Is it stinky like poop?
I'm from India and currently its retreating monsoon season and it's a bit cold , the smell is like poop mixed with turmeric but really bad.I keep trying to roll him in a cloth and keep him warm but he keeps rolling out .The entire day he was on his side sleeping, he tried to get up a couple times but keeps falling over.He barely has the energy to lift his head up.

Last edited:
How old are these chicks? Is it possible they've begun to lay eggs?

Is this sick chick's butt feathers sopping wet by any chance? Fluids excreted by a chicken with an intestinal or reproductive tract blockage smells as you described - poopy with a tumeric accent. Is this chick pooping? What does the poop look like? Is there any cecal poop among the poop?

They are 3 months old.The feathers around his anus is covered feces . He hasnt pooped since yesterday .His crop is completely empty.Ive only been feeding him water with glucose.

Back
Top Bottom