Chick miraculously healed!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristenm1975, May 25, 2010.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hello all! I posted a month ago that I had a chick suddenly appear to be suffering nerve disorder, stumbling around unable to stand and unable to feed herself. I put her inside the house under a heat lamp, fed her food and water with eye-dropper, and put dissolved hypericum tablets in her water.

Well, after two weeks indoors, I learned that the other chicks she'd been in the brooder with had already been exposed so were in no increased danger by having her back in there. She had stabilized indoors and was fatter, not so wobbly on her legs, but I figured she was not doing well being alone all the time, so back to the brooder she went.

After two weeks back in with her buddies, she's no longer stumbling, walks perfectly normal, and is slowly catching up to the others in size! I was so surprised and delighted to see the change!! I just figured she was a goner. Yay for my little Sicilian Buttercup!!

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Sounds like she had a mild case of botulism. Glad she recovered. Don't be surprised if she stumbles once in a while as an adult. Alot of times the ordeal leaves some permanent damage that they can live with.

Matt

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'm so happy for a happy ending! And how cool that it's a Buttercup. I think those birds are so beautiful.

4. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    [​IMG] YAY!! Glad she is better!!

5. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Botulism, wow, that might make sense. The goofballs did tip over their water and soggify their food once. It's totally possible I suppose that she might have gotten something from that. How else might a chick get botulism?

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm super excited to see her grow. She's such a sweetie! Here's a few pics of her in her younger weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by