Chick mortality statistics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bird Brain, May 4, 2009.

1. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    Just wondering what kind of luck other people have when it comes to their babies. Bout a month ago, bout 5 day old BBB Turkey Babies and lost one within three days (It was sorta sickly looking to my untrained eye, sat on his haunches a bit). Week and a half ago I bought an assortment of chicks from a lady on the board, and have lost three so far (one tophat within two days, a cocoo maran I never saw coming, and a tophat of the same color yesterday that I worked with for about 18 hours to save, not growing and cheeping all the time them BAM, sick little bugger) . Mathematically compared I suppose I shouldn't be concerned, Im running the same stats on both batches (1/6=.1667 & 3/16=.1875).

My question is....
    Does everyone else loose 16% of their babies?
    Im just wondering if its beginners bad luck or if maybe I was doing something wrong.

2. R@ndy

R@ndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    knock on wood, I bought 20 chicks almost 4 weeks ago and haven't lost any yet.

What do you feed them and where do you keep them?

3. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Hi! So far I bought 26(Ideal)and 2 months later I still have 26. Have a batch of bantams comming will let you know about them. I feed mine purina(game). It has food for all stages of life. Lots of healthy treats.[​IMG]

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think it varies batch to batch. I've heard some people that will lose almost every bird one time and none the next.

5. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    i just got a shippment in thursday of batams and heavy breeds. i have them all together. 45 total i have lost 7 so far not very good stats. may be i sould have keep them separate.

6. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    In my house since about the second day, it was getting to warm in the building and it was way to early to cook these chicks. They are on Dumor starter. I dont know if the 2 polish maybe had something wrong with them to begin with. The second one just didnt seem to grow at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by