Chick Mortality

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leo1, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Somebody help!
    I'm raising my first brood of chicks and it's not going well. According to what I've read I'm doing everything right, but something's going terribly wrong. I go the chicks 3 days ago and have lost two so far and have two others that aren't doing well. They all seemed great when they arrived. Running about eating and drinking, then one stopped eating and then drinking then she essentially fell asleep and didn't wake up. Then another did the same thing and died this morning. I have a third that seems to be doing the same thing and a forth that I have found belly up twice and her breathing seems really labored. I have isolated the sick chicks with food and water but nothing seems to help. Can anyone help me? This is heartbreaking!
    Thanks!!
    Luanne

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] Try posting in the raising chicks forum. Someone there is sure to know how to help.

3. MillieKay

MillieKay New Egg

May 26, 2011
    Oh, that sounds awful. My deepest sympathy.

How is the brooder temperature? If the chicks seem to be bunching together, they may be too cold, and they run the risk of crushing each other. I'm fairly positive my first chick mortality was a spinal injury from a chick pile-on, but I'm no expert.

Are you checking for pasty butt?

I hope we can figure this out...

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Are they too hot. What is your brooder setup? Can you post photos? Are the chicks vaccinated?

5. MillieKay

MillieKay New Egg

May 26, 2011
    We've all heard we should never ever force feed a chick or chicken, but one of my chicken mentors has told me that dribbling some sugar water *ON* (not IN) the beak might inspire chicks to lap up a little extra water. The sugar apparently gives them a little extra perk, and the water of course helps hydrate. I haven't had to try this (knock on wood!) but I keep syringes around just in case. Just make sure the chick is in a position that any extra water drips off, instead of getting inhaled or choking the poor baby.

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] Sorry for your problems .. I agree with diana ..

[​IMG]

7. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    The one that's been going belly up, I got to eat but she doesn't seem to be able to get up.

8. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Can you give us more information about their environment? What are you using as their brooder? A plastic bin? Wooden hutch? etc.. What sort of heat source? What are you using for the flooring? Shavings? newspaper? paper towels?

What exactly are you feeding them? What brand and formula? Medicated/non medicated?

If they're pooping.. what color is it?

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm very sorry for your loss.[​IMG] They could have coccidias which is caused by wet conditions usually. They would of picked it up before you brought them home. It could be that or the chicks didn't handle the move well. They get pretty stressed out. For coccidias treating with Corrid or Sulmet is necessary. I've read Corrid is better. I'm not familiar with cocci, but maybe someone else is. I hope you don't lose any more chicks.

10. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Thanks!
    I switched them to mash the were on crumble (Organic). I've been adding vitamin mix to their water as well. They are in a box heated with bulbs to 90-92 degrees. I'm using Aspen shavings and picking out poop regularly and then put down another layer of shaving on top. I just got some antibiotics. I hate to use them but if they have cocci then I guess I better. I few of them have liquid poo too. I think covers all the details.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by